By Judy Berman
The harsh caw caw of one bird
The sweet song of another
As they take flight, swim, rest, or
Waddle thru my neighborhood.
The swans gliding gracefully
across the pond’s calm surface,
The mockingbird thrilling us
on moonlit nights with his song.
There’s the low mournful coo coo
of a mourning dove at dawn,
The great blue heron’s patience
stalking dinner in the lake.
The hummingbirds hovering
over a fragrant flower,
The robin, spring’s welcome sign,
protecting her blue green eggs.
They share the same living space
In search of food and water,
a safe haven for their young
and a place to stretch their wings.
How different they all seem
Yet have so much in common. **
** My poem was inspired by Maya Angelou’s “Human Family.” http://allpoetry.com/poem/8511441-Human-Family-by-Maya-Angelou This link also includes a link to Maya Angelou reading her poem.
COPYRIGHT NOTICE: Judy Berman and earthrider, 2011-15. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to (Judy Berman) and (earthrider, earth-rider.com, or earthriderdotcom) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Video: Mockingbird singing – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMpe34Aign4
1. Main Photo: Swans and cygnets, photo taken April 2014 by Judy Berman.
2. Photo: Sandhill crane – Ichabod and Abbie – taken May 2014 by Craig Bailey, photographer at Florida Today newspaper
3. Photo: Mourning dove – taken May 13, 2011. Author: Tony Alter of Newport News, USA http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2a/Mourning_Dove_%285717426794%29.jpg/640px-Mourning_Dove_%285717426794%29.jpg
4. Photo: Great blue heron – taken April 2014 by Dave Berman.
5. Photo: Hummingbird – Attribution – Mdf http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Featured_Pictures_of_Trochilidae#mediaviewer/File:Colibri-thalassinus-001.jpg
6. Photo: Sandhill crane chick, Frasier Crane, and parents, Ichabod and Abbie – taken June 26, 2014 by Judy Berman. (Frasier was born 6-21-14)
7. Photo: Mallard duck and ducklings – taken April 2014 by Judy Berman