That short walk down the aisle is just the beginning for those who exchange wedding vows.
Our journey began 30 years ago this month and, like everyone else on this path, we navigated some very uncertain terrain.
Many times, we’d look back on the road not taken and wonder “what if?” Such as the decision to wait to trade in our car until it hobbled into the dealership on life support.
“This is my fault?” Dave asks, smiling, as we are out on a morning stroll.
“Someone’s got to take the fall for this, and it’s going to be you,” I inform him.
“OK. I’ll take the fall for it,” he says, laughing.
I have to thank the late Jerry Rosen, his former boss and co-worker, who gave Dave the best advice ever on marriage.
“There are two rules,” Jerry told him shortly after we married.
“Rule number one: The wife is always right. Rule number two: See rule number one.”
It was a win-win situation for me. I mean, for us.
Here are some other pearls of wisdom on marriage:
- Erma Bombeck: “Marriage has no guarantees. If that’s what you’re looking for, go live with a car battery.”
- Bill Cosby: “For two people in a marriage to live together day after day is unquestionably the one miracle the Vatican has overlooked.”
- Barbra Streisand: “Why does a woman work ten years to change a man’s habits and then complain that he’s not the man she married?”
- Nora Ephron: “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” (Harry, played by Billy Crystal, in the movie, “When Harry Met Sally.”)
Dave, thanks for your support, your love and for the laughter. Happy 30th Anniversary. For last year’s post about humorous tips on what makes a happy marriage, see story here.
What’s your favorite memory? Wedding day? First day on your own? Parenthood?
COPYRIGHT NOTICE: Judy Berman and earthrider, 2011-15. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to (Judy Berman) and (earthrider, earth-rider.com, or earthriderdotcom) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Movie clip: “When Harry Met Sally” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMo36SfyQhw
Music Video: Silly Love Songs – Paul McCartney https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh15LOppcWQ
1. Main Photo – Ah! The traditional exchange of the wedding cake – Dave and Judy – our daughters, Jenn and Danielle – August 18, 1984
2. Photo – Dave, with the typical newly-wed man look, ‘What have I done?’ August 18, 1984